NEWS

Uri Attack: No Evidence Found, NIA Releases Pakistani Students Suspected To Be Terrorists

They will be sent home soon.

09/03/2017 9:43 AM IST | Updated 09/03/2017 10:57 AM IST
Hindustan Times via Getty Images

Two Class X students, who were suspected to have helped Jaish-e-Muhammad cadre to carry out the Uri attack in last year, are being sent home because of lack of evidence against them.

The Times of India reported that the two boys -- Faisal Hussain Awan and Ahsan Khursheed -- were not involved in any terror activity and had crossed the border after fighting with their parents over studies.

Handed over to the Army 16 Corps headquarters, they will be sent over to Pakistan soon.

Ghulam Mustafa Tabassum, Awan's brother told The Indian Express, "How can I tell you what it has been like to see our mother start to weep and scream every night around 2 am or 3 am when her medication wears off. People gather around her to comfort her, but they can do nothing but cry, either."

The two boys where caught by the army from near a village near Uri on September 21, days after the attack on the 12 Infantry Brigade headquarters killing 19 people.

Both the boys are residents of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir.

The Indian Express report says while the families are eagerly waiting for the two to come home, they are not aware exactly when they would be handed over.

The NIA had however claimed earlier that they the two boys had admitted to have been asked by JeM commanders to facilitate infiltration into India that resulted in the Uri attack.

Also In HuffPost India

Indians On Oscars Red Carpet

More On This Topic