NEWS

India Takes Up Pathankot Attack Mastermind Masood Azhar's Ban Issue With China

China has opposed the US move by putting a hold on the proposal.

07/02/2017 9:00 PM IST | Updated 07/02/2017 9:16 PM IST
Zahid Hussein / Reuters

NEW DELHI -- With China opposing US proposal in the UN for designating Pathankot attack mastermind and Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist, India on Tuesday said it has taken up the matter with Beijing.

"We have been informed of this development and the matter has been taken up with the Chinese government," External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said.

He was asked about India's reaction to US pushing for a ban on Azhar in the UN and China yet again blocking it.

However, he did not elaborate when and where the issue was taken up with China.

According to senior government sources, the US, supported by the UK and France, moved a proposal at the UN's Sanctions Committee 1267 in the second-half of last month to proscribe Azhar.

The proposal, which was finalised after "consultations" between Washington and New Delhi, said JeM is a designated terror outfit and so its leaders cannot go scot-free, sources said.

"However, China opposed the US move by putting a hold on the proposal," a source said, adding the Chinese action came just before the expiry of the 10-day deadline for any proposal to be adopted or blocked or to be put on hold.

The American proposal came barely weeks after India's efforts to get Azhar banned by the UN were blocked by China in December last.

The "hold" remains for six months and can be further extended by three months. During this period, it can be anytime converted into a "block", thereby, ending the life of the proposal.

Also on HuffPost India

'Indica: A Deep Natural History Of The Indian Subcontinent' Is More Compelling Than Sci-Fi

More On This Topic

SPONSORED BY THE LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH FOUNDATION