NEWS

In Anticipation Of Pak Retaliation, Border Villages In Punjab And J&K Are Being Evacuated

Gujarat’s border districts of Kutch and Banaskantha are on high alert. 

29/09/2016 4:59 PM IST | Updated 29/09/2016 5:34 PM IST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Reuters Photographer / Reuters
Represtational image of India Pakistan in Punjab.

Following the surgical strikes carried out by the Indian army across the Line of Control, targeting terror launch pads, villages near the border in Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir are being evacuated in anticipation of a retaliation by Pakistan.

All schools within 10 kms of India-Pak border have also been closed till further orders. Emergency ward of Civil Hospital in Pathankot being cleared in preparation for any eventuality, ANI reported.

On Thursday, Home Minister Rajnath Singh asked Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to immediately organize the evacuation of villages within a 10 kilometers radius of the international border.

The evacuation is being carried out in the districts of districts of Ferozepur, Fazilka, Amritsar, Taran Tarn, Gurdaspur and Pathankot.

Badal has ordered the identification of suitable locations to set up camps, and to ensure that those being evacuated are not put through any hardships, The Indian Express reported.

Messages have been conveyed to village sarpanches and local officers to start the evacuation process as soon as possible, The Hindustan Times reported.

Border Security Forces have canceled the beating retreat at the Wagah border.

The Hindu reported that Gujarat's border districts of Kutch and Banaskantha are on high alert.

Four terrorists had killed 18 soldiers in a pre-dawn attack in Uri, Kashmir, earlier this month, leading leading to the escalation of tensions between India and Pakistan.

"Based on very specific and credible information which we received yesterday that some terrorist teams had positioned itself along the line of control, the Army carried out surgical strikes last night at these launch pads," Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) Lt. Gen Ranbir Singh said today.

"The operations were focused to ensure that these terrorists do not succeed in endangering lives of citizens in our country. During the counter-terrorist operations, significant casualties have been caused to the terrorists and those who were trying to support them. The operations have since ceased," he said.

Also on HuffPost India:

Gorgeous Photos Of Delhi's Native Trees

MORE: News

More On This Topic