A woman stood on a presidential debate stage as an active participant for the first time in history Monday night. Another crack was made in the highest glass ceiling with grace, poise, zingers and intellect.
And yet, for many women, the 90-minute debate was also incredibly frustrating to watch.
Between Trump’s condescending tone, his endorsement of policies that would negatively affect women, and his barely-veiled racism, here are 10 times it was difficult for women on Twitter not to lose their damn minds:
1. When Trump paused and condescendingly said to Clinton, “I want you to be very happy.”
Because in Trump’s world, a woman should always be content and smiling ― as he talks right over her.
2. All the times Trump interrupted (manterrupted?) Clinton while she was saying real things about real policies.
Toddler cheeto really couldn’t wait his turn, and it felt painfully familiar to women everywhere.
3. When he mansplained everything from “stop and frisk” to international policy.
(Women) presidential candidates: they’re just like us!
4. When Trump couldn’t acknowledge the danger police brutality poses to the black community, implied the real problem is “black-on-black crime,” and praised “stop and frisk” ― a policing tactic which was ruled unconstitutional in New York because it disproportionately targeted people of color.
5. When he bragged about his NRA rating.
Research shows that living in a home with a gun greatly increases the chance a woman will be a victim of a homicide. But yay guns?
6. When he wouldn’t stop bragging about his money. And his hotels. And his money.
7. When he was basically a toddler who couldn’t use his words.
Can you imagine if a woman just yelled “WRONG” over and over again without backing that assertion up with facts?
8. When the most thin-skinned man in American politics said he had a winning temperament.
Only an extremely privileged white man could be this delusional.
9. When Trump said Clinton “doesn’t have the look, she doesn’t have the stamina.”
Let’s be clear, a president has never looked like a woman.
10. When Trump said that Clinton isn’t “nice,” because of course, every woman should be first and foremost soft and kind.
Reminder: This is a presidential race ― one in which both candidates have released out ads that attack the other candidate. This is not new.
Until next time, folks...
Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.