If we take a shot of vodka every time we hear a sexist dialogue while watching a 90s Bollywood potboiler, we would probably only last for 20 minutes. Actually, that applies to a host of Hindi movies even now.
Although we have seen a growth of women-centric movies in recent times, at no point should we pretend that we have broken even; women-centric films and strong women characters still have a long way to go.
Here's a list of terribly sexist dialogues from Bollywood blockbusters that will make your cringe or make you want to murder someone, depending on how non-violent you are.
1. "Ya toh rape ke ilzaam mein saat saal saza kaat le, ya uske saath saat phere le le." - Main Khiladi Tu Anari
Honestly, people who think such things should not be allowed to roam freely in public.
2. "Aurat ke ek nahi teen janam hote hai ... pehla jab woh kisi ki beti bankar is duniya mein aati hai ... doosra jab woh kisi ki patni banti hai ... aur teesra jab woh maa banti hai." - Chori Chori Chupke Chupke
God, how we wish whoever had written this had not taken janam at all!
3. "Sapne dekho, zaroor dekho....Bas unke poore hone ki shart mat rakho." - Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
Yeah, of course. Girls ≠ Ambition.
4. "Pyar se de rahe hai, rakh lo, varna thappad maarke bhi de sakte hai." - Dabangg
Someone explain the consequences of domestic violence to this guy please! Oh, wait...
5. "Yeh hoti hain asli ladki, chutki mein Bipasha, chutki mein Madhubala." - Mere Brother Ki Dulhan
Yeah, because it's just so awfully cool to stereotype women, right?
6. "Marriage se pehle ladkiyan sex object hoti hain aur marriage ke baad they object to sex." - Kambakhatt Ishq
Now, is there a law against using one's brain while writing dialogues for film? No, right?
7. "Tum ek patni ho, tumhara pati jaisa chahega vaisa hi hoga, yeh shaadi ka dastoor hain. Sirf bistar par sona hi ek patni ka farz nahin hain." - Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam
EEEKS! Nobody should want a 'sanam' who believes in this.
8. "Tu ladki ke peeche bhagega, ladki paise ke peeche bhagegi. Tu paise ke peeche bhagega, ladki tere peeche bhagegi." - Wanted
This is low, even by Bollywood standards.
9. "Balatkar se yaad aaya meri biwi kahan hai?" - Grand Masti
Yes! Let's please make fun of marital rape because it is hilarious.
10. "Mard ko dard nahin hota." - Mard
No. This is what happens when we let patriarchy rule us. Not only does it oppress women, it subjects men to dubious ideas of masculinity.
11. "Boodhi ho ya jawaan, melodrama is duniya ki saari auraton ke khoon mein hain." - 2 States
After all, it takes guts to let the world know what an idiot you are, isn't it? So, *applause*.
12. "I respect you because you are such an exceptional dancer...I was mesmerised, hypnotised...the movement of your booty, the beauty of your movement, and your big thighs... eyes, and your hips don't lie... Mohiniji you are simply breast taking, I mean breathtaking." - Happy New Year
Okay, I can hear my brain starting to explode. Et tu SRK?
13. "Beti toh hoti hi hain patang ki tarah... shaadi ke pehle apne chatt par udhti hain... aur shaadi ke baad dor kisi aur ke haath mein." - Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
Okay, a beti is a human being. Not a kite. Or a cup, chair, staircase, scooter, pressure cooker. Repeat after us, 'human being'.
14. Variants of "Churiyan pehen lo/ Churiyan pehen ke baithe ho kya?". - Almost every 90s movie
First of all, what is wrong with bangles? They are beautiful and aesthetically appealing. Second, bangles do not incapacitate people, patriarchy does.