If you want to avoid those unsolicited and unwanted calls from telemarketers offering you home loans, insurance plans, a vacation package and whatnot, all you have to do is register your number with the Do Not Disturb (DND) registry. The spam calls should not bother you anymore.
You just have to send an SMS, "START" to 1909 to activate the service. It takes seven days for the request to get processed and your name to be added to the list.
Despite the DND registration, chances are some telemarketers will still call you. You can report them using one of the options below:
- Dial 1909 to register a complaint
- After dialing 1909 you can either choose the automated response or talk to a customer care executive to register a complaint.
- You have to give details such as the phone number of the unsolicited telecommunication, the date and time of the call, and the content of your conversation.
- You will receive a unique number and action will be taken within 7 days of the complaint being registered.
- Send an SMS on 1909
- You have to send an SMS to 1909 in a specific format:
- "The Unsolicited Commercial Communication, XXXXXXXXXX, dd/mm/yy"
- Where XXXXXXXXXX is the number from which you received the unsolicited call.
- You will get a unique number and action will be taken within 7 days of the complaint being registered.
It is important to bear in mind that you must register the complaint from the same phone number on which the unsolicited commercial call had been received. Also, you have to register the complaint within three days of the unsolicited communication.
Apart from registering an official complaint, you can also use the app, India against spam. This app lets you register for DND with one touch. You can also use the app to register a complaint and block the number. The app also deletes messages coming from the reported numbers.