NEET: Government Pushes The Common Medical Entrance Test To Next Year

20/05/2016 3:24 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:26 AM IST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Hindustan Times via Getty Images
NEW DELHI, INDIA - JULY 1: Students fill the college forms at Miranda House after the first cut off list came out for admission at Delhi University, on July 1, 2014 in New Delhi, India. Delhi University announced its first cut-off list today for admissions to the courses under the three-year programme after the long delay due to standoff between DU and the UGC over the rollback of Four Year Undergraduate Programme (FYUP). The increase in cut-offs was expected after the number of students scoring more than 95% marks in the CBSE class 12 board exams increased to 8,971 in 2014 from 5,996 last year. (Photo by Saumya Khandelwal/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

NEW DELHI -- The Centre on Friday cleared the ordinance to postpone the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) exam by a year so that the students have enough time to prepare.

The decision comes after a meeting chaired between Union Health minister JP Nadda and other state health ministers over the matter.

The meeting was convened after several parliamentarians opposed the common medical entrance test, saying the NEET has created confusion among the students who have already applied for the state entrance exams.

Earlier today, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi asking him not to bring any order against the Supreme Court ruling on NEET, saying the students had welcomed the decision as it discouraged well endowed parents from making 'donations' to get their children admitted into reputed private medical colleges.

"It has come to my attention that reports are adrift that the Centre is making plans to overturn the decision by the Supreme Court and people have been tensed upon hearing this news. The people of the nation will be cheated if the Centre goes through with this decision. Just a few days ago, Union Health Minister JP Nadda called a meeting over the issue, where almost all health ministers opposed NEET, except Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain," the letter stated.

Kejriwal added it is also being said that many politicians are running their own private medical colleges, in which some institutions are indulging in the practice of accepting large donations, which is why they were vehemently against the NEET examinations.

"It is my humble request to you to ensure that no orders are brought against the Supreme Court ruling in the matter, otherwise people will think that the Centre stand with those who garner black money," Kejriwal said.

The Supreme Court had earlier ruled that the students will have to appear for NEET starting this academic session to seek admission to any medical or dental colleges in the country.

The opposition parties have raised concerns that the students passing out from the state boards in vernacular languages and living in remote areas may not be able to perform well enough in common entrance exam despite being competitive.

More On This Topic