Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Monday accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of surrendering to Pakistan by allowing the neighbouring country's investigation team to probe the January 2 terror attack on the Indian Air Force base in Pathankot. It had been alleged that Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed(JeM) was behind the attacks which killed seven security personnel.
ISI को बुलाकर मोदी सरकार ने पाक के आगे घुटने टेके। मोदी सरकार ने शहीदों की शहादत की सौदेबाज़ी की है।भारत के लोग ये क़तई बर्दाश्त नहीं करेंगे— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) March 28, 2016
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLAs carrying banners with ‘ISI Go Back’ written on them protested in Delhi on Monday against the visit of Pakistan’s Joint Investigation Team to probe the Pathankot airbase attack.
The Delhi Assembly had to be adjourned for half an hour after the protests intensified on the budget day.
Following the protests, #ModiBowsToPak started trending on Twitter.
“We were saying ISI (Pakistan’s intelligence agency) was responsible, it was a Pakistan-sponsored terror. Has this position changed?” an Aam Aadmi Party leader told reporters. “Prime Minister Modi has surrendered before Pakistan,” he said.
While an AAP minister alleged that “Modi feeds biriyani to the ISI,” another took a dig at the Prime Minister saying, “Before he was elected, the PM used to say for every soldier the Pakistanis kill, we will produce the heads of 10 of theirs – what has happened (now)?"
Countering these allegations, defence minister Manohar Parrikar has said that had he “not permitted this crime investigation freedom, then the crime investigation failure would be blamed on the Defence Ministry".
A five-member team from Pakistan, including an ISI official, reached New Delhi on Monday to carry out a probe into the attack at the airbase at Pathankot, marking the first-ever such visit to the country to probe a terror case. It will also analyse investigations being carried out by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) so far.
Despite strong criticism from opposition parties including the Congress, the team will visit Pathankot on Tuesday for investigation. Washing his hands off the controversy over the controversial visit of the Pakistani investigation team visit to the airbase, Parrikar said the "crime scene" is under the control of NIA and it is up to the agency to decide who to allow there or not.
Noting that no permission has been given by the Defence Ministry for entry into the airbase, he said that the "crime scene", a "non-sensitive" area, has been completely barricaded, including visually, on his orders and no defence asset would be used to facilitate the visit of the Pakistani team.
"We have specifically refused them permission to go anywhere in the airbase," he said.
Meanwhile, an NDTV report citing government sources said that the government is allowing the Pakistani team access to witnesses and evidences so that Islamabad can’t shirk its responsibility.
(With PTI inputs)
Also See On HuffPost: