Initial Ban On 'Dilwale' In Rajasthan, MP Affected Its Opening Collection, Says Rohit Shetty

22/12/2015 4:03 PM IST | Updated 29/08/2016 9:00 PM IST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Red Chillies Entertainment/YouTube

NEW DELHI -- Director Rohit Shetty feels the initial ban on his latest film Dilwale, starring Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol in the lead, has affected the opening collection of the action-comedy.

The 41-year-old director said he was always prepared for the face off with Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Bajirao Mastani.

"We all were aware that Dilwale and Bajirao Mastani are coming together, so, I was prepared for that competition and the harm we will give each other. But I think what affected the Friday and Saturday collections were the ban in Rajasthan and MP.

"Almost 40 per cent of the theaters were not showing the film and we resumed on Sunday morning... It's all mathematics, how many theaters we are running in we will get the collections according to that," Rohit told PTI.

The Chennai Express helmer thinks bans are the outcome of "misunderstanding" and if dealt with patience things can be settled out easily.

"Bans do harm the business, but when you go and talk to the people opposing the film, it all gets sorted. I have come to the conclusion that all this happens due to misunderstanding. And the issue easily gets resolved if you go and talk to them nicely," he said.

Dilwale, released last Friday, stars Varun Dhawan, Kriti Sanon, Johnny Lever, Varun Sharma among others in prominent roles.

The film has bagged thunderous response overseas and that has left Rohit surprised.

"With Star Wars releasing at the same time this kind of response overseas is great. I never really thought this kind of response will come from international circuit as I always knew Star Wars was coming. I think Shah Rukh is very popular overseas or may be the SRK-Kajol chemistry is working in favour of the film," he said.

Brining back the iconic pair of SRK-Kajol after five years can look like a tough task, but Rohit said it was a cake walk as the Fanna actress gave quick nod to the film.

"Bringing Shah Rukh and Kajol together was not planned. I narrated the script to Shah Rukh, he heard the character I had written for the girl and suggested why not take Kajol as it is an important role.

"Then we narrated the script and the moment it got over she promptly said yes. It was very easy to bring her on board," he said.

Rohit, who had been away from the promotions, said he was busy in the post production of the movie till a week before its release.

"I was busy finishing the film. We have completed the film in five months. June 21st the film started. We were shooting and editing and working round the clock and were able to finish the film on Saturday for Friday release. I said I am not coming anywhere otherwise the film will not release."

Rohit is also planning to watch Bajirao Mastani as soon as he gets free from his own film.

"Currently I am busy with Dilwale only, once I am through with it will definitely see the film sometime early next year. I have heard great things about Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh. They are friends and will surely see the film."

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

Also On HuffPost:

World's Most Important Thinkers


More On This Topic