Chhota Rajan Likely To Be Brought Back To India Today

03/11/2015 9:11 AM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST
SONNY TUMBELAKA via Getty Images
Indian national Rajendra Sadashiv Nikalje, 55, known in India as Chhota Rajan, is brought out from a holding cell at the Bali police headquarters in Denpasar on Bali island on November 2, 2015. An alleged Indian crime boss wanted in his home country for up to 20 murders has been arrested in Indonesia after two decades on the run, police said October 26. Nikalje had been evading police in several countries for years, with Interpol flagging him as a wanted man back in 1995. AFP PHOTO / SONNY TUMBELAKA (Photo credit should read SONNY TUMBELAKA/AFP/Getty Images)

Investigating authorities are likely to finally get the upperhand in two decades of cat-and-mouse game with one of India's most wanted gangsters, with the likely deportation of Rajendra Sadashiv Nikalje from Indonesia today, according to reports.

A team from India's Central Bureau of Investigation is in Bali at the moment to complete the legal formalities to secure his deportation.

NDTV reported that Indian embassy official Sanjeev Agarwal traveled from Jakarta to Bali and met him for 45 minutes on Sunday after he complained that his security in Bali was weak.

Nikalje, who ruled the Mumbai underworld under the alias Chhota Rajan, had earlier told the Bali police that his life will be in danger in India. He was nabbed by the Bali police on October 25 after the CBI tipped off the Australian police, which in turn informed its Indonesian counterpart.

He was on the run from dreaded gangster Dawood Ibrahim and was travelling with an Indian passport with the alias Mohan Kumar.

The Indian team has taken a dossier of his cases, many dealing with murder, trafficking and extortion, according to the NDTV report.

Also Read: Chhota Rajan 'Never Wanted To Surrender'

Also Read: Indian Envoy Meets Chhota Rajan In Bali Jail

Also Read: Special Commandos Accompanies Indian Police

Also Read: 9 Things You Should Know About Chhota Rajan

Interestingly, Rajan had told NDTV that he was "fighting against terrorism".

The visit of the joint team of CBI and Mumbai and Delhi police officers came two days after India wrote a letter to the Indonesian authorities for 55-year-old Rajan’s return to face trial in various criminal cases registered against him.

The team has been provided security by Indonesian and Delhi Police commandos. The consular access to Rajan comes two days after the Indonesian police submitted a report to the Indian Embassy about Rajan’s detention.

Indian Ambassador to Indonesia Gurjit Singh had said on Friday that the process relating to Rajan’s deportation to India has already begun but there is no deadline for it. Security of the Indian officals as well as that Rajan has been enhanced due to the high threat perception to Rajan from rival gangs, most notably of Ibrahim.

The Indian team is also accompanied by elite commandos of Special Cell of Delhi Police. (With inputs from PTI)

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

Also on HuffPost:

Cobra Man

More On This Topic