Even as Nestle has said it is planning a big-bang relaunch of Maggi noodles ahead of Diwali, the Maharashtra government is gearing up to spoil the party.
The Economic Times reports Maharashtra's food minister, Girish Bapat, as saying that the state will not allow Maggi to be sold within its territory and will approach the Supreme court. The Bombay High Court had lifted the ban on Maggi in August, conditional on Nestle conducting fresh tests within six weeks at three labs in Mohali, Jaipur and Hyderabad. Earlier this month, Gujarat and Karnataka lifted its state-ban on the product.
" Not all samples of Maggi were okay, such products may create a health issue among the people, we want the ban to continue and hence we have decided to approach the Supreme Court, "said Bapat on Tuesday.
The company, which has taken a hit of Rs 450 crore, had also destroyed over 30,000 tonnes of the instant noodles since June, when it was banned because of alleged excessive lead content. Nestle reiterated that it will continue with the existing formula of the product and not change the ingredients.
On June 5, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) ordered Nestle India to withdraw all nine variants of Maggi instant noodles from the market terming them “unsafe and hazardous” for human consumption.
After the Bombay High Court breather, Nestle has been going all out with prominent ads of its products, showcasing its historical relationship to India. It however doesn't mention Maggi anywhere in these ads.Suggest a correction