12 Convicted In 2006 Mumbai Serial Blasts Case

11/09/2015 12:02 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter

Twelve people were convicted on Friday in the 2006 Mumbai serial blasts case which killed at least 188 commuters and injured over 800 others. One person was acquitted, according to reports, though a detailed order is still awaited. The quantum of punishment in the case will be announced on Monday.

"I think this is justice for the people who died and those who were injured, said KP Raghuvanshi, former chief of the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad to Times Now. "We charge sheeted only those against whom we found strong evidence."

Special Maharashtra Control of Organized Crime Act (MCOCA) judge Yatin D Shinde had concluded the trial on August 19 last year after examining 192 witnesses, including eight IPS and five IAS officers as well as 18 doctors. He announced the verdict today.

Earlier, advocate Raja Thakare, the prosecutor in the case, had told The Indian Express, “With the kind of efforts and dedication made, I believe justice will be done. And it is not for me to feel that justice has been done, but the public at large."

13 people arrested by the Anti-Terrorism Squad were prosecuted in the case for placing seven RDX bombs inside pressure cookers inside seven first-class coaches on July 11, 2006.

These included Kamal Ahamed Ansari (37), Tanvir Ahmed Ansari (37), Mohd Faisal Shaikh (36), Ehtesham Siddiqui (30), Mohammad Majid Shafi (32), Shaikh Alam Shaikh (41), Mohd Sajid Ansari (34), Abdul Wahid Shaikh (34), Muzzammil Shaikh (27), Soheil Mehmood Shaikh (43), Zamir Ahmad Shaikh (36), Naveed Hussain Khan (30), Asif Khan (38).

The blast occurred between Khar Road-Santacruz, Bandra-Khar Road, Jogeshwari-Mahim Junction, Mira Road- Bhayander, Matunga- Mahim Junction and Borivali.

(with agency inputs)

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

More On This Topic