Yakub Memon To Be Hanged On July 30 If SC Rejects Mercy Petition: Report

15/07/2015 9:32 AM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST
Headlines Today/You Tube

If the Supreme Court declines his mercy petition on July 21, Yakub Memon, convicted in the 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts case will be hanged on the morning of July 30 by the Maharashtra government.

Memon, who was found guilty of criminal conspiracy and sentenced to death in 2007, is presently lodged in the Nagpur jail. Last year, President Pranab Mukherjee turned down his mercy plea. In April, the Supreme Court rejected Memon's review petition and confirmed his death penalty.

While being convicted of a conspiracy to commit the terrorist attack, the 53-year-old has argued that he was never actually involved in executing the serial bomb blasts that killed more than 250 people on March 12, 1993. His curative petition for justice is now before the apex court.

“The order for the execution of Yakub was issued on Monday and sent to the superintendent of the Nagpur prison. The prison will prepare the entire procedure of the execution,” said a home department official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, The Hindustan Times reported.

Vijay Satbir Singh, principal secretary in the home department, told HT, “I do not remember the details but the process has been started.”

Memon's conviction will be the first execution in connection with the 1993 serial blasts. Citing sources, DNA reported that the date and time of execution has already been approved by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.

Memon, a chartered accountant, is the younger brother of Ibrahim Memon, also known as Tiger Memon, the prime accused in the case, who is absconding. During the course of the investigation, it was revealed that it was Tiger who got Yakub involved in the deadly attack on Mumbai.

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

More On This Topic