PM Narendra Modi Objects To China's Obstruction In UN Action Against Pakistan

23/06/2015 9:44 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
AAMIR QURESHI via Getty Images
Pakistani security personnel escort Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi (C), alleged mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, leaves the court after a hearing in Islamabad on January 1, 2015. Pakistan on January 1, approached the country's supreme court to stop the release of alleged mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attacks whose detention order was this week suspended by a high court, a government prosecutor said. AFP PHOTO/ Aamir QURESHI (Photo credit should read AAMIR QURESHI/AFP/Getty Images)

After China blocked India’s move in the UN demanding action against Pakistan over release of Mumbai attack mastermind and LeT commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi raised the issue with the neighbouring country at the highest level, according to Ministry of External Affairs.

China, earlier on Tuesday, blocked India’s move in the UN demanding action against Pakistan over release of Mumbai Lakhvi as it contended that India provided insufficient information.

As the UN Sanctions Committee met here at India’s request, a clarification was to be sought from Pakistan over Lakhvi’s release in the 26/11 trial but the Chinese representatives blocked the move on grounds that India did not provide sufficient information, official sources said.

In a letter to the current Chair of the UN Sanctions Committee Jim McLay, India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Asoke Mukherjee last month had said Lakhvi’s release by a Pakistani court was in violation of the 1267 UN resolution dealing with designated entities and individuals. The sanctions measures apply to designated individuals and entities associated with terror groups including al Qaeda and LeT, wherever located.

The sanctions’ committee has five permanent and 10 non-permanent UN member states in it. The release of Lakhvi had also raised concerns in the US, UK, Russia, France and Germany with Washington calling for him to be re-arrested.

Lakhvi and six others – Abdul Wajid, Mazhar Iqbal, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jameel Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younis Anjum – have been charged with planning and executing the Mumbai attack in November, 2008 that left 166 people dead.

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

More On This Topic