Lalit Modi Asked British Royalty To Help Secure Travel Documents

22/06/2015 11:31 AM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
WPA Pool via Getty Images
WINDSOR, ENGLAND - JUNE 15: Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Prince Charles, Prince of Wales attend the Order of the Garter Service at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle on June 15, 2015 in Windsor, England. The Order of the Garter is the most senior and the oldest British Order of Chivalry and was founded by Edward III in 1348. (Photo by Peter Nicholls - WPA Pool /Getty Images)

As the web of Lalit Modi's powerful friends unravels in India, emails procured by The Sunday Times have revealed that the former IPL commissioner also had connections with British royalty.

Citing leaked emails, the U.K.-based newspaper reported that Lalit Modi, a fugitive from Indian law, asked Prince Charles, 66, and his younger brother Prince Andrew, 55, for help in securing travel documents.

Andrew, second son of Queen Elizabeth II, reportedly visited Lalit Modi, who is being investigated by Indian agencies for money laundering, on July 21 at his seven-storey townhouse in Chelsea - a few days before his travel documents were granted following an intervention by Keith Vaz, an Indian-origin lawmaker in the U.K.

On August 1, 2014, Lalit Modi sent out an email to multiple recipients confirming that he had received his travel documents.

Investigations by the Indian media have revealed how External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje helped Lalit Modi secure travel documents, last year. While the U.K. government decided not to conduct a probe against Vaz, opposition parties are calling for resignation of both BJP leaders.

READ: 5 Reasons Why Sushma Swaraj's Defence Is Untenable

READ: Vasundhara Raje's Clandestine Support For Lalit Modi

On July 2, Vaz raised Modi’s case with another home official, The Sunday Times reported. He wrote: “Mr Modi informs me that he met the Prince of Wales (Charles)… and he also met Prince Andrew two days ago. Both offered to help resolve this matter as he was complaining about missing the wedding of his sister and the inability to meet amongst others the president of the Seychelles.”

Over the weekend, Buckingham Palace refused to say what the two men had discussed, The Sunday Times reported.

"While we would never comment on the private meetings or conversations of members of the royal family, I can confirm that the Duke of York has known Mr Modi over a number of years," the statement said. "The duke is fully aware that policy and decisions relating to immigration issues are a matter for the Home Office. It is categorically untrue that he has sought to influence decisions on these issues."

Prince Andrew's spokesperson said he had not accepted any hospitality of gifts from Lalit Modi, and "the duke was not aware of the detail of allegations."

A spokesperson for Prince Charles said he had met Lalit Modi on "a handful" of occasions at charity functions.

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

More On This Topic