A year after the Narendra Modi led government came into power in India, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was hailed as the ‘Hilary Clinton’ of the NDA government. A nationwide TV-C Voter opinion poll said that Swaraj is the best Union minister in terms of performance.
The External Affairs Minister has been winning hearts since the time she took over, by helping many Indians in times of trouble.
The FM now finds herself in the midst of a raging political controversy. This is for helping Lalit Modi, the controversial cricket administrator, obtain a UK travel certificate. The FM said she had merely helped an Indian who needed the document to visit his sick wife.
This particular instance has landed her in trouble. But she has been very active on social media in helping Indians everywhere facing consular and other issues.
Using Twitter, her team has helped several Indians living abroad in times of crisis. Take a look.
1. Recently, she helped an Indian who was stuck in a conflict zone in the Saudi Arabian city of Najran. His employer didn’t return his passport, so the minister took the matter in her hands.
Now that shelling has stopped, all Indians in conflict zone in Najran may please leave immediately. PL RT— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) May 13, 2015
If your employer does not return your Passport, pl contact Indian Embassy. They will give you travel documents @atulnayak17— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) May 13, 2015
2. When Neha Agarwal Parikh, an analyst with a credit rating agency, tweeted a request at Swaraj to get her parents out of Turkey, the minister immediately helped. Parish’s senior 'citizen parents’ were stuck at Istanbul for a day as her mother had misplaced her passport while returning home from their trip to Europe.
@SushmaSwaraj Please help. We tried talking to Indian embassy in Turkey. Nothing has happened till now. Parents are senior citizens.— Neha Parikh (@nepratik) May 30, 2015
Indian Embassy in Turkey has given Emergency travel documents to your parents and they are flying back tonight.@nepratik— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) May 30, 2015
@SushmaSwaraj Thank you so much Ma'am for the prompt response from your side. Parents have boarded the flight to india. Very grateful to you— Neha Parikh (@nepratik) May 30, 2015
3. The minister also helped rescue and evacuate a woman being held in South Africa. When Gopal Keshri tweeted to Swaraj, saying that an Indian origin lady is under house arrest in South Africa and may be physically hurt, the minister got into action and in no time, tweeted that the Indian High Commission in South Africa has got in touch with the girl.
Rahul - Your sister rescued from Johannesburg is reaching Kochi tomorrow (15th April) by flight EK 532 at 0255 hrs @gopalkeshri— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) April 14, 2015
4. The time she helped a lady who’s mother met with an accident while on a vacation in Bali and the hospital refused to accept Indian insurance.
@SushmaSwaraj I'm in Bali on vacation & my mom met with accident. The hospital refuses to take Insurance guarantee from India— Meera Sharma (@meera_sh) May 28, 2015
@SushmaSwaraj we need to get her operated here she cannot fly back to India.Hospital is Surya Hasudha in Nusa Dua, Bali— Meera Sharma (@meera_sh) May 28, 2015
I am in touch with our Ambassador and Consul General in Bali reg your mother's treatment. They will provide you all help. @meera_sh— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) May 29, 2015
5. When an Indian girl lost her money and passport in Germany, Swaraj was the savior.
In Berlin. Lost my passport. Lost my money. Indian embassy only open from 9 30 to 12 30.
Does anyone have any contacts?— Agratha Dinakaran (@Agratha) May 4, 2015
The minister got in touch with her and the next day, the Indian embassy in Berlin helped her get her permits.
.@SushmaSwaraj Went to the embassy today and got my permit. Mrs. Tripathi and Mr. Murugan helped me out. Thank you for everything.— Agratha Dinakaran (@Agratha) May 5, 2015
6. In April, a woman in Yemen tweeted out a picture of her baby, asking Swaraj to help her with evacuation
@SushmaSwaraj Mam we are still waiting our turn with tomorrow evacuation flight. Hope we will make it finally to India!— Sabah Shawesh (@SabahShawesh) April 3, 2015
This is my little son & source of love. Wish him to reach India safe 😓 pic.twitter.com/7bWn8tVNHO— Sabah Shawesh (@SabahShawesh) April 3, 2015
Swaraj replied to her personally, ensuring evacuation.
No need for thanks @SabahShawesh. It is our duty towards our country and countrymen. God bless your child - our young citizen.— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) April 6, 2015
7. She also helped a man recover his passport and advance money from his company abroad.
@anilpusapati The embassy will resolve this with your Company. Otherwise we will give you travel documents.— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) March 31, 2015
@dasCapitalist tq for asking sir we got my passport from company and advanced money also— anilpusapati (@anilpusapati) April 29, 2015
Suggest a correction