NEW DELHI -- As the ban on Maggi noodles spreads across the nation, Nestlé Global CEO Paul Bulcke arrived in India to alleviate growing fears and anger against the brand which is suspected of selling noodles containing monosodium-glutamate, a taste enhancer, and excess lead.
On Friday, Bulcke said that Nestlé had conducted tests for over a thousand batches of Maggi noodles in the past few days, and over 650 batches had been tested by third-party laboratories.
"Maggi noodles in India are safe for consumption," Bulcke said at a press conference in the capital. "We have same the quality standards everywhere in the world and that applies for Maggi noodles in India."
Bulcke also shot down allegations of MSG being added to the noodles. "We do not add MSG in the Maggi noodles," he said.
Bulcke said that Maggi was being withdrawn from shelves because the faith and trust of the consumers in India has been shaken. "We will do all it takes to clarify with the authorities the situation and to have Maggi noodles back on the shelf as soon as possible," he said.
P. Bulcke "We are taking MAGGI Noodles off the shelves till the situation is clarified"— Nestlé India (@NestleIndia) June 5, 2015
P. Bulcke "India is important to us. We have been in India for over 100 years, we are a part of India"— Nestlé India (@NestleIndia) June 5, 2015
This week, several states including Delhi, Uttarakhand, Gujarat, Jammu and Kashmir, Assam and Madhya Pradesh banned the sale of Maggi noodles. The central government have asked states, which are conducting tests on the noodles, to report their findings.