NEW DELHI — The Supreme Court today said that the former CBI director Ranjit Sinha "abused his powers and must be investigated", reported NDTV. It ruled that Sinha's meeting with 2G scam accused at his residence was "totally improper", and directed the Central Vigilance Commission to look into the matter.
The top court was pronouncing a verdict on a plea filed by an NGO seeking a probe by a Special Investigating Team (SIT) against Sinha for allegedly scuttling the probe into a coal block allocation scam case.
"The Supreme Court has said that Sinha's meeting accused persons at his house without the presence of the investigating officer was totally improper and merits further investigation as to whether the meeting compromised or influenced the investigations of the CBI. To clear the matter, the court has directed the Central Vigilance Commission to look into the matter. The case will come before the court on July 7," eminent lawyer Prashant Bhushan told ANI. "The court has dismissed the perjury applications filed by Sinha against me," he added.
#BREAKING Supreme Court dismisses perjury plea filed by former CBI Director Ranjit Sinha against Prashant Bhushan— TIMES NOW (@TimesNow) May 14, 2015
SC asks CVC to assist it & file report on alleged meetings of fmr CBI Dir Ranjit Sinha with persons including accused in Coalgate & 2G scam— TIMES NOW (@TimesNow) May 14, 2015
Sinha had earlier caused outrage by saying at a conference that if the state could not stop gambling, it could at least make some revenue by legalising it. He had said, "If you cannot enforce the ban on betting, it is like saying, 'If you can't prevent rape, you enjoy it'." He had later said that his remarks were taken out of context and had apologised as well.
(With inputs from ANI)Suggest a correction