ALAPPUZHA, Kerala -- A 15-year-old sportsperson died early today while three others, all undergoing training at Water Sports Centre of Sports Authority of India here, have been hospitalised after they ate a poisonous fruit in an apparent suicide pact following alleged harassment by seniors.
The girls are suspected to have consumed the fruit, locally called 'Othalanga', at around 3 pm yesterday inside the SAI women's hostel. They were rushed to a hospital around 7 PM after they fainted and later taken to Alapuzha Medical College, where one of them died, police said.
The girls were undergoing training at the Water Sports Centre of the SAI at nearby Punnamada.
Relatives of the athletes alleged that the girls were being physically and mentally tortured by some seniors.
This is the most tragic and shocking incident in 3 decade long existence of SAI: SAI Director General Injeti Srinivas pic.twitter.com/Lp4rUogbcS— ANI (@ANI_news) May 7, 2015
However, the hostel warden denied the charges and said they came to know about the condition of the girls only when they fainted. "No one in the hostel tortured them," she said.
Angry relatives of the girl who died said that unless an inquiry is ordered immediately and the guilty brought to book, they would block the national highway and not perform the last rites of their ward.Suggest a correction