WB Gangrape: Nun Discharged From Hospital In Ranaghat

20/03/2015 11:46 AM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Pacific Press via Getty Images
KOLKATA, INDIA - 2015/03/17: Christian community of Kolkata led by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Calcutta organized a protest rally to expressed solidarity with the 72 year old nun who was ganged rape at convent school in Ranaghat, Nadia. Archbishop of Kolkata Thomas D'Souza led the rally which started at Allen Park. (Photo by Saikat Paul/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images)

RANAGHAT — The elderly nun, who was gangraped at a convent here in Nadia district last Saturday, was discharged from hospital early this morning.

Ranaghat sub-divisional hospital superintendent AN Mondol said the Sister Superior of Convent of Jesus and Mary, who had been declared fit for discharge, was released from hospital at around 2:45 AM.

"She was officially discharged at 2:20 AM but it took another 25 minutes for her to collect her belongings and leave," Mondol said.

The Medical Board had earlier conducted tests on the nun and found her to be physically and mentally fit, Mondal said.

The 71-year-old nun was admitted to the hospital after being brutalised by dacoits at the convent at Gangnapur in Ranaghat in West Bengal's Nadia district in the early hours of March 14.

CID teams visited the convent yesterday and were seen taking photographs and making sketches of the convent building.

The West Bengal government had on March 18 decided to hand over the case to the CBI as the demand for justice grew louder with the culprits still at large. But the investigating agency is yet to formally take charge of the case.

No arrest have been made even five days after the incident though 15 persons have been detained in connection with it, police said.

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

More On This Topic