Home Secretary Anil Goswami's Fate Hangs In Balance?

04/02/2015 8:05 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:24 AM IST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Hindustan Times via Getty Images
NEW DELHI, INDIA - AUGUST 1: Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde with the new Home Secretary Anil Goswami (L) at the monthly press conference of their ministry at Shastri Bhawan on August 1, 2013 in New Delhi, India. 72-year-old Shinde, who became the country's Home Minister on July 31 last year succeeding P Chidambaram suggested he was a good team leader and he takes criticism in his stride. (Photo by Sonu Mehta/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

The fate of Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami, who is at the centre of a controversy over allegedly making an attempt to stall the arrest of Congress leader Matang Sinh in the Saradha scam, hangs in balance after he acknowledged having made telephone calls to CBI officials.

Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who discussed the issue with Goswami, had briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi about the developments and a decision would be taken shortly, official sources said here.

The Prime Minister, who is seized of the matter, is expected to take a call on the continuation of Goswami in the top post, the sources said.

Sources privy to the developments said that after his admission over making telephone calls, Goswami's continuance as Home Secretary may have become "untenable".

Perturbed over media reports on the issue, Home Minister had last night talked to Goswami, who made the admission about the call. Soon after, the Home Minister briefed the Prime Minister.

Today, Singh called Goswami to his office and they discussed the issue for nearly an hour. Goswami is believed to have given his version of the episode and the reason behind making the call to the CBI, the sources said refusing to divulge more information on the matter.

Goswami, a 1977 batch IAS officer of Jammu and Kashmir cadre, was appointed by the previous UPA government and has his two-year tenure till June this year.

He completed 60 years of age on January 31. In case the government decides to take action against him, the options are limited to either sacking him or allow him to resign.

A visibly upset Goswami refused to take any questions from media, who kept waiting outside his room in North Block. Later, a hassled Goswami said "have you ever heard me say anything (to media)".

The Home Minister also called CBI Director Anil Sinha, who briefed the Minister about the sequence of events that unfolded ahead of Sinh's arrest.

Sinha also refused to take any questions from the waiting media outside the office of the Home Minister. The Director held a separate meeting with Goswami.

The CBI is believed to have sent a report to the Prime Minister's Office in this regard, sources in the agency said. ACB SKL VSC

More On This Topic