Retaliate With Double Force: Parrikar On Pak Truce Violation

31/12/2014 5:26 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:24 AM IST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Hindustan Times via Getty Images
GURGAON, INDIA - NOVEMBER 23: Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar addressing the Air force officers during inauguration of the Information Management and Analysis Center (IMAC) in Air force station at Sohna road on November 23, 2014 in Gurgaon, India. Set up to provide coastal security and to avert tragic incidents like the 26/11 terror attack on Mumbai, the IMAC is the nodal centre of the National Command Control Communications and Intelligence Network (NC3I Network), and is a joint initiative of Indian Navy, Coast Guard and Bharat Electronics Ltd to improve coastal surveillance. (Photo by Parveen Kumar/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

New Delhi, Dec 31: With Pakistan continuing to violate the ceasefire, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has directed the security forces not to hold back and retaliate with "double the force".

His comments came after an Army jawan was yesterday injured as Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire along the LoC in Pallanwala sector of Jammu district.

This was the fifth ceasefire violation in the past one week.

Underlining that the the number of ceasefire violations across the LoC have reduced as compared to last year, Parrikar, however, noted that the violations have increased across the International Border.

Asked what has been his direction to the security forces, Parrikar, who was interacting with defence journalists last night, said, "Our (NDA government) response is don't hesitate. React appropriately without holding yourself back".

He said that if there are any ceasefire violations, the Indian forces should retaliate "with double the force" and if there is an attack on Army posts, the terrorists need to be neutralised.

He stressed that the Indian forces don't violate ceasefire agreement but only respond to violations by Pakistani troops.

On the attack by Bodo militants in Assam, Parrikar dismissed suggestions that the army was late in reacting to the attack and said they had to wait for a request from the local administration.

"We were alert about the attack even before the news was flashed in the media. The armed forces stationed there were ready, but we had to wait for request from local administration," Parrikar said.

"As soon as the local administration requested, we deployed the forces," he said.

Parrikar said 73 columns of the army were now deployed in Assam, where Bodo militants massacred dozens of tribals last week.

More On This Topic